Friday, September 2, 2011

Pear harvest time and random news from the garden


We are nearing the end of the outdoor season and I decided to give it a last little push...Cleaned out some weeds in the back, gave my plants bloom fertilizer for the first time this year (yup!) And trained some of the vining plants up the fence.

Almost everything I planted produced pretty well, save for the watermelon and zucchini...I have to investigate why those didnt grow well. And I have 1 white seedless grape vine (can't remember the type) and 1 concord grape vine, along with 1 hardy Issai kiwi vine (yes, kiwi!). Those haven't bloomed but it is my understanding that they should fruit next year. Can't wait for homegrown grapes and kiwis!

The picture in this post is from my d'Anjour pears that I harvested this morning. What's great with fruit trees is that they are so productive! Mine gave me 100lbs of delicious pears with ZERO maintenance or fertilizing. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment