Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A day of propagation...

Today is the day we propagate. Today is the day we bring new life into my indoors grow room. See I've been running this little room of about 10X10 in my basement as a little lab. It's set up with supplemental lighting and some -basic - environmental controls, mainly a window ac unit, a dehumidifier and a standing fan.

I originally planted a blueberry, raspberry and mulberry (dwarf) trees. I also one lettuce, 4 cucumbers, 1 tomato plant, some strawberry plants, and 2 bell peppers. 1 cucumber and 1 bell pepper are grown hydroponically, the trees, tomato, and 1 pepper are in organic soil, and the rest of the cucumbers are in Pro Mix, which is a soil less medium made of perlite, vermiculite and peat moss.

I recently also added a bunch of herbs and edible flowers to the mix. Basil, lavender, thyme, pansies, oregano...They are all growing in Pro Mix as well.

The reason for all these different mediums is that I'm trying to determine which one is more productive and easier to deal with. My previous experience with ProMix makes it a strong competitor, but so does my experience with hydroponics.

See, most commercial greenhouses grow in large rockwool slabs, using drip irrigation lines. It's effificient, quite simple labor wise, and is scaleable on a vertical level, so we may end up using just that.

So today we are streamlining the grow room a bit. And this starts with 5 new tomato clones, 5 new pepper clones,a big cleanup of the strawberry buckets. I will post pictures later today of the old vs new setup, so stay posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment