Sunday, July 31, 2011

The story unfolds...

Sunday, July 31st, 2010

Time for an update, and a bit more details on the plan, which im sure sounds not so clear so far...

It's scorching hot outside right now and my tomato plants are just loving it. There will surely be much more than my family can eat, but that's besides the point.

See the whole idea behind this project is to put together a functional, full size prototype of a COST EFFECTIVE vertical farm. Now I emphasize the words "cost effective" because the concept of vertical farming isn't new... It's been coined a longggg time ago and was recently updated in definition by the man considered the modern father of the idea: Professor Dickson Despommiers over at Columbia University.

His theory calls for a building costing over 100 000 000$ that has the capacity to feed 50 000 people. Lots of money for no garantees of anything really working out... But the core of his concept is good and the principles are valid.

After much research, I think I've got a system that can feed the same number of people for about 2 000 000$, or 2% of his system's cost.

Now that's ambitious, I know....But so far the results I am seeing and the projections seem to indicate it's working!

His system for vertical farming is all over the internet, if you care to read about it some more....As far as mine is concerned, you'll have to wait just a bit longer....

Khaled

1 comment:

  1. Hi, i'm Vincent Blanchette. I wrote the article about vertical farming ont the blog of Simon Filiatrault in january 2012. I had news that you plan to create a vertical farming system. I would like to attend to the press conference when it will happen. Could you send me an invitation too ?
    You can write me back at wizerthe13th@hotmail.com.

    Thanks a lot !

    ReplyDelete